Monday, April 16, 2007

Latest listens Mid April 2007

A listing of some of the stuff I've been listening to lately.....


Bright Eyes - Cassadaga - Excellent. Buy this. Much more mature
and sophisticated than any of his earlier releases. Much more
accessible than I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning from 2005. Much more
mature (I know, I already said that), but its true. You listen to
this and just marvel at how much Connor Oberst has grown, and as he
has grown and matured and gotten more sophisticated and polished so
has the music. The songs are true tales of Americana, and you can
hear how he has been influenced by The Band and even Wilco. Here's
hoping that Ryan Adams is taking notice as this is something HE should
be doing.

Amy Winehouse - Back to Black. Such an amazing disc.

Stax 50th Anniversary Collection - No words needed here.

Dusty Springfield - The Ultimate Collection - I am so sorry I
missed this one in her prime ( I was too young). What a voice.

Neko Case - Fox Confessor.... I'm on a bit of a female artist
streak these days. This is one of my favorite releases from last
year.

U2 - How To Assemble An Atomic Bomb - Haven't listened to this one
in over a year (most U2 I listen to is live material). Still a great
listen.

Erin McKeown - Grand - Wow. What a fun CD! I'm not sure how best
to describe this. So, I'll paraphrase some reviews on Amazon: "
jazzy, lusty, jazz-hop, indie-pop, gentle country-rock....just to name
a few". A great voice, some great catchy songs that don't overwhelm.
I highly recommed this one.

Carrie Newcomer - Regulars And Refugees - "....the stories of
patrons at Betty's Diner.....where the souls both tragic and
triumphant dine side by side". A bit more serious that McKeown, but
equally as great a listen.

Son Volt - The Search

Bruce Springsteen - One of Flynn's compilation discs from the
Seeger Sessions tour. Not sure which one.


The Beatles - Hard Days Night. So innocent, so young, such a
simpler time in the world.

Wilco - A live show from somewhere, can't recall right now. Gotta
get back into them a bit since we are seeing them in June.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Michael wrote:
"U2 - How To Assemble...

An Atomic Bomb - Haven't listened to this one in over a year (most U2 I listen to is live material). Still a great listen."

Well, I agree it's a great listen, but they DISMANTLE their own: what are you up to?

Your typo would have made for great irony, but at least in this instance, it seems you believed that was in the title.