Wednesday, February 06, 2008

2008 RMAS Mix Disc Random Thoughts

Just some random thoughts on the current mix disc I am compiling and reaction to those discs I have received so far from my partners in this exercise.

I haven't burned anything yet. I've created about 12 lists of songs so far but have not been satisfied with any of the song combinations I have chosen. I have about 5 different 'themes' running through my head right how and none of them can be truly accomplished with just one disc. I may have to stop thinking so much and just grab 20 songs and put them in an order that is somewhat cohesive and flows nicely. I thought that reading "Love Is A Mix Tape: Life And Loss , One Song At A Time" by Rob Sheffield would help but it has only made things more difficult. I may be approaching something akin to writers block on this project. Of course, being distracted by the Giants playoff run, the current state of American politics, and thoughts about planning Adam's Bar Mitzvah could be mitigating factors.

An additional part of the problem is the music I have received so far. All of my fiends that I see on an almost weekly basis, are mostly not into music as heavily as I am (or don't have the music knowledge I do), and think that I know all of these great bands/artists that they have never heard of, and while that has some truth I have nowhere near the knowledge or collection of others. We we were watching Knocked Up a few weeks ago with friends and there are some great songs on the soundtrack and I pretty much almost named each one to the astonishment of our friends (the songs were actually easy, by Haircut 100, Bright Eyes, to name a few). However, as I listen to some of the discs I have already received I have been taken aback by the power and beauty of some of these songs, many of which are performed by artists I have never heard of or have heard of but never listened to. I thought I had alot of really great music at home, but I am beginning to realize it is nothing compared to others. Now of course, rectifying this problem is costly, but I am hoping that out of the discs I receive there are a few artists that I begin to explore a great deal more (kind of like I do with the Paste, Mojo, and Uncut discs I listen to).

Another update in a day or so......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Michael I am totally where you are right now. I think just go with what you are feeling and it will be ok because it's 'your mix'. I used to be so on top on new music but now that my indie cd store has closed I see too that I am not hearing as much new stuff as I used to. Mine started as a local Pittsburgh mix but now it's becoming of mix of those and just some songs that I like. You will prolly know them all, but that's ok. Don't put so much pressure on yourself! (I should talk I did the same thing LOL).

Gena